First, let me clarify: I am not a coffee expert (far from it!) nor a Bulletproof coffee, Bulletproof tea, or tea expert.
However, if you are interested in one of the above topics, I might be able to save you some time.
This is what I’ve learned in my cursory search.
I wake up some mornings and sit and have my coffee and look out at my beautiful garden, and I go, ’Remember how good this is. Because you can lose it.’
Tea time is a chance to slow down, pull back and appreciate our surroundings.
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
1. Bulletproof coffee was introduced by David Asprey. The basics of it are (according to his website): freshly ground Bulletproof coffee beans (he says the beans are special. Others beg to differ*), Brain Octane Oil (MCT oil (multichain triglyceride). Others say there are better & cheaper oils*), and grass-fed, unsalted butter or grass-fed ghee.
I don’t know if there is magic in his brand of ingredients or those ingredients in general. Others, like me, have had success only using coffee or tea and a high-fat ingredient, like coconut milk.
2. Some websites talk about it as being a meal replacement. I tread lightly on that one, even though I do sorta use it as a meal replacement. Nutritionally, there isn’t much there. Be aware, you need to be extra mindful of getting your minerals, vitamins, enzymes from other whole food sources.
3. The type and amount of fat added is an individual preference. See what works for you. High fat can cause digestion issues for some people.
4.The tea in last week’s photo was so dark because it was made from ‘instant chia tea’. In my case, crushed black tea along with spices. Think of it like macha tea, which is made from green tea leaves that have been crushed, and the tea leaf is ingested.
I’m guessing since the one I bought had crushed black tea, and macha is crushed green tea, any tea (black, green, white, rooibos and herbal) can be crushed.
When I spoke to the salesperson at Acquired Taste, she said didn’t see why it couldn’t be done but to be aware, the caffeine content will be higher in ingested tea than brewed tea. The main bonuses of powdered leaf tea is that it is pour and go, and the flavour is stronger.
I bought several teas that I thought would taste good with coconut milk (Golden Chai (black tea), Pear Cream (herbal), Vanilla Cream (rooibos), Turkish Apple (herbal. In spite of the name, it tastes like lemon drops) and tried to create ‘instant tea’ by using a coffee grinder. It didn’t work. From what I have read, a mortar and pestle is needed to grind it fine enough to ingest.
5. I found with my purchased instant chia tea, by the end of the mug, if I’ve left it for too long, it had a stomach-churning viscous texture. That is from the spices, according to a salesperson at Silk Road Spices. For non-chai teas, there shouldn’t be an issue.
6. I have heard personally, and have read that some people with ADD, ADHD, and low-form anxiety, use caffeine to self-medicate. It has less side effects than most drugs and if it does the trick, awesome!
7. We might be on the cutting edge with powdered teas. A few days after going to Acquired Taste Tea and The Spice Room, I saw a Starbucks sign promoting powered teas. Bet you didn’t know you and this newsletter were hip and happenin’ (does using the words hip and happenin’ support or disprove our hip-nesss and happenin’-ness?)
8. Not convinced that tea and coffee is the way to go? If you like canned drinks but not the bugs or spills that go with them, try our reusable Snap Capps.
Enjoy your wonderful relaxing/exciting week of summer.
Providing calmness & comfort, learning & laughter,
P.S. If you are interested in giving teas a try (one of my life’s missions is to tempt some of you coffee-drinkers to leave the dark side), Acquired Taste has offered a 10% discount, available online or in-person, until July 31/18.
If in person, let them know Diane from InnovAID got the okay from Tasha. If ordering online, please first send an email to email@example.com and let them know where you heard about them and ask for a 10% coupon code.
P.P.S. Don't forget that strong teas (especially some of the herbal teas) make great summer treats: Popsicles and iced tea (use the cold brew method for iced tea. Put double the amount of tea bags into a container of water and let sit overnight in the fridge. This method has less bitterness than cooling hot tea).
*Websites used in the newsletter:
https://www.fastcompany.com/3034539/what-its-like-to-drink-bulletproof-coffee-every-morning-for-two-weeks Tried Bulletproof coffee and was frequently very hungry.
http://www.tightlightning.com/2014/07/25/joe-rogan-says-bulletproof-coffee-is-bullshit/Disproving the miracle of Bulletproof Coffee (ie. His coffee and his MCT oil is not special)
https://www.additudemag.com/treatment/caffeine/ How caffeine affects people with ADD.
https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20161223/coffee-vs-tea-is-one-better-health#1 – just for fun: Coffee vs Tea